Redefining your career, progression, development & change
Authored by Genevieve Ho for Wellbeing Australia
Speakers: Belinda Reid & Melanie Timmerman
Date: 15th September 2021
Three key themes of the summit
1. Time to reset- pause and rethink
2. Time to reconnect- to your values and drivers and to the community
3. Rebalance- improve sense of self and purpose
Key reflection: What is my sense of self and how am I spending my time?
What are the opportunities and career pathways within education?
· Other: Research, career coaching
· Outside: consulting, adult education, authority bodies
Key point: Your skillsets are transferrable outside education
Before making the change
How do you know when it is the right time to move?
· Ask yourself if you still add value to your work
· Do you want to be further challenged? What are your values?
· Are you still motivated? Or does going to work make you unhappy?
What do you want from the change?
Start by looking at what is out there, utilise social networks such as LinkedIn.
Consider approaching them with your skillsets
If it is more work-life balance, consider:
· Part time opportunities, private tutoring,
· Youth mentoring
When applying and making the change
What do corporate bodies/ recruitment look at?
· Team dynamics and how you might fit in
· Set of core skills to fulfil the role and if you have these
· Unique offerings of the individual
How to showcase and develop these skills:
· Change your mindset and reframe your perspective of your skill set
· Hone and highlight key skills: Communications skills, organisational skills, team work, community building and relationship skills
o Key point: Talk to your peers and friends to ask them what your strength areas are
· Addressing deficiencies: learn a new skill or volunteer
· Branding yourself- find your passion and be sincere about it
· Don’t over-commit. Ask yourself, did you have capacity to deliver outcomes?
Moving into teaching:
· Consider the need for Trade skills in schools
· Outside experience is often view favourably
Watch the full discussion by registering at https://www.wellbeingaustralia.com.au/wellbeing-australia-education-summit-2021/